• Over $4 million in scholarships were offered
to DCS seniors last year.
• Over 70% of our graduates go on to post-secondary education
Currently attending: Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, MIT,
Birmingham Southern, Sanford, Tufts, and university of Texas, as
well as honors programs at UA and Auburn
• Over 900 high school
students in one or more AP, Honors, and advanced courses.
• Currently 169 students involved in dual enrollment courses
• Military academies-students in all three in last five years
and currently three in West Point.
• ROTC program has produced seven academy students in last
• All 15 of our schools for grades K-8 are certified as ARI
• Our ACT-college entrance scores exceed state and national
• Our Environmental Learning Center is unique in the U.S.
• Ten of our 15 schools who participated in the state Writing
Assessment received A's on the most recent State Report Card.
• 70% of high school students are actively involved in competitive
• Drop-out rate decreased from 30% to 8.5% in five years.
• Our system has 12 national Board Certified teachers.
• Our high schools have been recognized as some of the safest
in the state.
• Currently we have six pre-kindergarten classes.
• The first school system in Alabama to be in partnership
with the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C.
• Over 5,000 third grade students have received ten violin
• High school bands have longstanding history of superior
• Our robotics teams frequently win state awards.
• One of four school systems in the state invited to participate
in the Mobile Math Initiative.
• Our science standardized test scores continue to rise with
our involvement in Hands-on Activity Science Program (HASP)
• Last summer over 470 teachers logged over 10,000 hours in