Mobile Maysville Math Initiative
The Mobile Maysville Mathematics Initiative helps teachers learn
new student-centered teaching methods that provide the opportunity
for all students to understand and use the mathematics needed in
the new millennium.
Whatever the activity, students are always striving to understand
mathematics and be able to apply what they have learned in school
or in daily living. Hence, the key differences in math classes in
MMI schools are the following:
1. Students are actively engaged in the process of learning math;
2. Teaching is centered on challenging problems;
3. Students use tools and objects to model problems;
4. Students justify their thinking; and
5. Students learn math concepts, not just memorize procedure.